Steve Kwan is the CEO of OpsWerks, a company that specializes in propelling data center and cloud operation teams to thrive. A Silicon Valley native, Steve’s roots are deeply entrenched in the world of technology, from his early studies in electrical engineering to his active involvement across the startup landscape. His rich career path, which includes founding companies, leading startups through various stages, and participating in four acquisitions, has informed his passion for enhancing people’s lives through technology. He’s been a part of eight startups, with half of them being acquired and the other half serving as valuable learning experiences. Today, Steve is on a mission to transform the work experience through OpsWerks.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Steve Kwan gives an overview of his entrepreneurial journey and how he started OpsWerks
- The value of being trustworthy and working with others who share similar values
- Why some startups succeed and why some fail
- What does OpsWerks do?
- OpsWerks’ team structure and why Steve decided to start it from the Philippines
- The importance of relationships and reputation in business
- Why Steve started an academy for training and hiring new employees
- The key to making a remote work model successful
- How Steve inspires his team to embrace the company culture
- What Steve does to invest in his personal growth
- The best piece of financial advice Steve has ever received
In this episode…
Building a strong company culture across geographical borders is no small feat. How does one nurture a cohesive, productive, and engaging team despite the challenges of remote collaboration?
According to Steve Kwan, the secret is a blend of clear communication, mutual respect, and shared objectives. His philosophy is about fostering a sense of belonging and engagement across distances, which he achieves by maintaining open lines of communication and ensuring that everybody’s contribution is valued and recognized. This approach has not only built a strong remote company culture but also fueled his personal growth and leadership effectiveness.
In this episode of the Financial Clarity podcast, host Hannah Smolinski talks with Steve Kwan, CEO of OpsWerks, about the art and practice of cultivating a vibrant company culture across borders. They dive into Steve’s method of balancing personal development with successful remote team management, his insights on building strong relationships with his team despite geographical distance, and the unique challenges and rewards of leading a diverse, international workforce.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Hannah Smolinski: LinkedIn | Email
- Clara CFO Group: Website | YouTube
- Financial Clarity podcast: Website | YouTube
- Steve Kwan on LinkedIn
- “Mastering Process Documentation for Business Success” with Adi Klevit on the Financial Clarity podcast
- “Building a Client-Focused and Business-Smart Law Firm” with Michelle Bomberger on the Financial Clarity podcast
- ClearValue Tax
- Brian Kim on LinkedIn
- Trend Micro
- Obstacle Is The Way by Ryan Holiday
- Ego is the Enemy: The Fight to Master Our Greatest Opponent by Ryan Holiday
- Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t by Simon Sinek
- Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well by Douglas Stone and Sheila Heen
- The Comfort Crisis: Embrace Discomfort To Reclaim Your Wild, Happy, Healthy Self by Michael Easter
Sponsor for this episode…
Clara CFO is dedicated to providing financial clarity and profit-maximizing solutions to small businesses. The team at Clara CFO are seasoned accounting professionals with a heart for small business. We help growth-minded entrepreneurs thrive through Fractional CFO services and financial education.
Whether you’re grappling with hiring decisions, profit margin concerns, or ambitious growth plans, Clara CFO provides insights, recommendations, and a clear financial roadmap to achieve your goals.
To learn more about Clara CFO Group and how we can help your business, visit ClaraCFO.com.